It had to do with incorrect rendering of a square (used for the moon/earth) surface. I also replaced the mediaPlayer class I was using to play back an mp3 with the JetPlayer class, which can be used to play back midi files that are a lot smaller compared to mp3's and they can use little cpu power. Now a midi file is used for playback, and the application size has reduced considerably to well under 1 Megabyte. However I did not find the time to write a proper midi song, so all you gonna hear is a repetitive ditty that is probably gonna drive you crazy...
Overall I think that the game is now a lot more responsive and fast but I only tested it on the emulator, so your feedback is welcome. Go to http://code.google.com/p/monolithandroid/downloads/list , download roboticspacerock1.0.10beta.apk and keep those bug reports coming...
The 1.0.9 version did not work, probably due to the
bug. In order for the game to work in real phones it seems that you still have to use the previous line.